DBT Changes Your Thinking, Change your Life
I’m sure we can all relate to wanting to change our life in some way. Knowing that, the Meehl Foundation’s Intensively Trained DBT Team are always looking for practical and spiritual ways to make the most your life! That being said, we would love to give you one more approach to making positive changes and improvements, in order to reach your goals and find some peace.
It is simple really…DBT Changes your thinking, changes your life. YOU create a life worth living!
I know some of you are saying to yourself: I’ve heard that before or that sounds nearly impossible, or the worst – “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.” Well, we can confidently tell you, yes you can.
In fact, this has been proven over and over again.
The trick to this approach is a little thing we talked about in earlier posts, mindfulness and learning how to consciously recreate habits.
So we would like to offer you 5 ways in which you can change your thoughts, which will change your mind, your day, your life, and the world… for the better!
- Be aware of each and every thought – Admittedly, this does sound difficult and maybe even tedious at first. However, it does take practice, practice, practice. Although, what you will get from it is invaluable spiritual and personal insight. This practice will allow you to evaluate your common thought patterns; such as, “I can’t”, “I’m not good enough”, “why do bad things always happen to me?”, just to name a few.
As Dr. Paul Leon Masters says, “Thought is energy. Therefore, when a pattern is established, there exists a crystallization of psychic energy.”
Now, that you have a starting point, you can begin to make those changes to your life and live as your true-self.
- Positive Affirmations – After realizing where you typically doubt and negatively think about yourself. Create some statements that will remind solidify that “you can”, “you are good enough and we have opportunities to learn and improve. Here are some examples that will help you firmly remember your amazing true-self.
- “I am worthy and loved in each and every moment of each and every day!”
Remember, this technique can go either way. Meaning, if you continue with the negative statements you are calling those beliefs in action.
- Appreciate each and every moment – The suns out, your breathing, you made it to work – look at the positive in each moment. It takes practice, but If you can find the good in the challenging times, you are on your way to a balanced joyful life. Here is a simple strategy for staying in an “appreciative frame of mind”:
When you wake up or before you go to bed write 5 to 10 things that you are grateful today. Repeating some occasional is okay, but try to find new things to be grateful for. This will open your mind to positive expression.
- Careful choose your reactions – Instead of lashing out at yourself or others, stop and consider, “where is this coming from?” and “who do I want to be?” After, you quickly marinate on these questions, then allow your thoughts to stay in positive truths.
Isaac Newton said it best – “To every action there is always an opposite and equal reaction.”
If you rush into anger or negative thoughts, then you react poorly, and make the situation worse.
- Make it a daily habit – Realistically, changing your thoughts may not happen immediately, in fact, it takes both practice and conscious mindfulness, and that’s okay. Creating a habit takes time, Behavior psychologists have concluded it takes 21 days of consistent practice.
A good strategy, in order to effectively set goals and create habits is to write it down a practice reminder on your daily to-do-list.
Most importantly, don’t be hard on yourself, if you get off track simply start again.
These tools are invaluable in creating joy, under any circumstance in your life. It is inevitable that you will experience difficulties, but the question becomes, what will you do with that experience? Will you become your greatest fears? Or will you see the beauty, which you were created specifically for in this world?
Remember, if you change your thoughts, you will change your world!
With love, we hope you chose you recognize the miracle that you are.